<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/8586345853664210765?origin\x3dhttp://pannawit.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
HEY! You've reached the blog of Pannawit C. (AKA. Wit/Witty)
1st Sept' 93
MSN: pannawit@hotmail.com
TKSS(2007-2009) class 3A'09/
Deerfield Academy (2009-2012)

I LOOVVEE the weather! Click for Deerfield, Massachusetts Forecast

LINKs...
3A'09
AIJING!
ALSTON!
BENJAMIN CHENG!
BENJAMIN TAN!
ESTHER!
ETHEL!
GERMAINE!
JUSTIN!
IAN!
JEANETTE!
MARCUS SEAH!
NADIRA!
NICHOLAS!
PHILIP!
SHUTONG!

Band
2010 BAND BATCH BLOG!
ANANTA!
BAND!
BERNICE!
BOBBI!
ISABEL!
JINGXI!
JUNJIE!
KORJIAN!
WENHUI!
YINGZHENG!

Twin Sister
AMY...

layoutcodez.net


CreDits-
[MonkeyMe]
blogskins.com
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Looks like size does matter after all.

I've always known that crew (rowing) is for big guys. But I was on a mission to prove the power of not-so-big people. I tried out for crew mainly because I want to work my upper body. Almost everything I did in the past was mainly leg-work: Frisbee (running mainly), Soccer (running), quarter marathons (running =_=).

You see, I'm fit only relative to my size. Sure I can never beat those big guys in things like arm wrestling but I can definitely do more pull ups than them. I thought crew was a pound-for-pound activity, which means:

100kg guy gives 10kg of force
equals
50kg guy gives 5kg of force

But I was wrong... By theory if:
100kg gives 10kg of force
and
50kg gives 9kg of force

Then the 100kg guy is hired.

I think it makes sense. I remembered when I go shopping in the weekends with my parents back home. My mom always does the shopping while I trailed behind to push the trolley. I learnt something from the trolley. The heavier the trolley, you need to exert more force but it can maintain that speed for a longer time. As in friction will be of less effect since Force = Mass X Acceleration. The same thing probably apply to rowing.

Darn, I sounded like a geek...

So anyway, on the 2nd day of try-outs (tuesday), I was totally demoralized because of this incident:

Coach: Alright... You (pointing to some tiny guy).... you.(pointing to this midget)... and you (pointing to me). I'll like to talk to you guys.
-- 10 seconds later --
Coach: So guys, I don't want you guys to take this personally. I have over 10 years of experience in this sport and by looking at you guys, I don't think rowing is for you. The best shot you get is at being a coxswain.
The other tiny guys: Oh yeah, we're all aiming to try out for coxswain anyway.
Coach: What about you (to me)?
Me: (thinking: what the heck!?) Well, I wasn't aiming for anything in particular but anything will do I guess...

In rowing, the coxswain is someone who sits in front and guide the boat. No physical activity required. Usually for short and small guys. I was so happy for gaining 4kg (10lbs) this spring break but coach just destroyed my self esteem.

I can't be that skinny right? Oh - I almost forgot that I'm in America.
So maybe I'm not that skinny
Maybe everyone here is just so darn big

I feel bad quitting crew but honestly, I'm not the kind of guy who sit down and shout command at people while doing no physical work. I like sweating! I like feeling tired! I'm not some little imp who boss people around...

So I have to change my co-curricular...
The first thing that came to my mind was track and field...
People here are godly at sport so to beat them, I have to try something that gives light people an advantage.
Track qualify for that criterion.

I love to run
And I love getting tired
But after some serious consideration
I don't think I'll really enjoy track

I love to run
But I don't want to get forced to run
Running gives me freedom
Forcing myself to run isn't freedom

I decided to do community service instead. Usually people in Community Service are failure at sports, but I think it's the best choice for me. It makes me feel different about myself though.

Back then, I would always get GOLD for every single NAPFA test since primary 4.
And here I am doing community service instead of sports...
But I have no regrets.

I miss those times when I was usually the first 3 to finish a 2.4km run in class
I miss those times when I was usually the first few chosen for ultimate frisbee match.

I guess that's what happens when people move to a different environment.
No matter what happens, I have no regrets
I never regret coming to America
And I won't regret doing community service as co-curricular.

awaiting my next day of adventure...